Josho-ji Temple (Kyoto City) (常照寺 (京都市))
Josho-ji Temple is a Buddhist temple belonging to the Nichiren Sect located in Takagamine, Kita Ward, Kyoto City. Its sango (literally, "mountain name"), which is the title prefixed to the name of a Buddhist temple, is Jakkozan. The principal image is Jukkai Mandala.
Josho-ji Temple was founded by kaiki (founding patron) Koetsu HONAMI and kaisan (first chief priest) Nikken in 1616, and was a Nichiren Sect danrin (school annexed to a temple) named 'Takagamine Danrin.'
The sanmon gate was donated in 1628 by a prostitute from Shimabara in Kyoto named Yoshino Dayu (1606 - 1643), who is buried within the temple.