Kengo-in Temple (遣迎院)
The Kengo-in Temple is a temple of the Jodo Shinshu (the True Pure Land Sect of Buddhism) in Takagamine, Kita Ward, Kyoto City, and the Head Temple of the Kengoin school of Jodo Shinshu. Its honzon (principal image of Buddha) is Shaka Nyorai (Shakyamuni) and Amida Nyorai (Amitabha Tathagata).
This temple was founded by Shoku (the founder of the Seizan Jodo sect) sponsored by Michiie KUJO in 1201 at present Honmachi 19-chome, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto City (around the Tofuku-ji Temple). In 1583 the temple was split into the two temples, one of which remains as a temple of the Seizan-Zenrinji school of Jodo sect. The other temple was moved to Kitanobe-cho, Hirokoji agaru, Teramachi-dori Street, Kamigyo Ward (east to the Kyoto Imperial Palace) and became the temple of the Tendai sect, which led to the present Kengo-in Temple. In 1955 it moved to the present location and formed a group as the Head Temple of the Kengoin school of Jodo Shin sect. It does not have many branch temples, but the Yogen-in Temple which is known as being related with Yodo-dono (Lady Yodo) in Higashiyama Ward is a temple of the Kengoin school.
The temple name 'Kengo' comes from the fact that its honzon are both Hokken no Shakyamuni and Raigei no Amida, that is, the Shakyamuni who sends a person to Saiho Gokuraku Jodo (The West Pure Land of Amida Buddha) and the Amida who receives him.
Important cultural property
The wooden standing statue of Amida Nyorai and the wooden standing statue of Shaka Nyorai: Made during the Kamakura period
The statue of Amida was made by Kaikei.
The sixty-eight prints of Amida Nyorai on paper: Placed in the body of honzon. On one print among the sixty-eight prints there is a record of 1194.