Ryuhon-ji Temple (立本寺)
Ryuhon-ji Temple, located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City, is one of the original temples (with a long historical lineage) of the Nichiren sect of Buddhism. It is considered one of the twenty-one Hokke sect temples in the central Kyoto. It is also one of the Sangusokuzan, or "Three Complete (Hokke) Temples," along with Myoken-ji and Myokaku-ji temples.
Before the Meiji Restoration, it is said that Ryuhon-ji Temple possessed temple lands of about 33 square kilometers and 20 sub-temples; today, only four sub-temples remain: Shogyoin, Kyohoin, Kogenin, and Dairinin.
The grave of Shoeki HAIYA, a wealthy merchant of the Edo period who was also notable for his cultural achievements, is located on the temple grounds.
The temple is also a famous spot to view sakura (cherry) flowers in spring and lotus flowers in summer.
In 1387 it was destroyed by the militant clergy of Mt. Hiei.
In 1393 it was rebuilt at Shijo-dori and Kushige-dori Avenues. It was also renamed Ryuhon-ji Temple at this point.
In 1536 (the fifth year of the Tenbun era), it was once again destroyed by the militant clergy of Mt. Hiei during the Tenbun Hokke War.
It was soon rebuilt.
It burned down during the Great Hoei Fire of 1708 (the fifth year of the Hoei era). It was then relocated again, and rebuilt at its current location.
The current head priest is Nichizui UEDA, the temple's 97th abbot. It belongs to the Seishi Hoen dharma school.
Important Cultural Properties
Eight scrolls of navy blue paper, of a mandala illustrated in gold and silver underpaints, showing the Buddhist stupa of the Lotus Sutra. Seven volumes (on indigo paper) of the Lotus Sutra and the Samantabhadra Contemplation Sutra.