Okawa-jinja Shrine (大川神社)
"Okawa-jinja Shrine" is a shrine in Okawa, Maizuru City, Kyoto Prefecture. Its shrine ranking is shikinai-sha (shrine listed in the Engishiki - List of Official Shrines) (myojin-taisha shrine), prefectural shrine.
Chief god Ukemochi no kami
Aidono (enshrinement of two or more deities in one building of a shrine) Kukunochi no kami (god of trees), Kagutsuchi no kami (god of fire), Haniyamahime no kami (god of earth), Kanayamahiko no kami (god of gold), Mizuha suijin (god of water)
According to historical document on the shrine, 'In 485, miyabashira (pillars of a shrine) were built and religious ceremony was held, and its rank advanced to Jugoi (Junior Fifth Rank) in 859 and Shogoinoge (Senior Fifth Rank, Lower Grade) in 861. It was listed as myojin-taisha shrine in the Engishiki jinmyocho (List of Official Shrines), and is a shrine mentioned in the Rikkokushi (the Six National Histories).
It was listed as a village shrine in 1872 and a prefectural shrine in 1919.
It is known in the neighborhood as the guardian deity for bumper crops, sericulture, disease avoidance, and easy delivery, and many visit from the Hokuriku and Kansai regions.
Setsumatsu sha (smaller shrines managed under the shrine)
Kamado-jinja Shrine (Okitsuhiko no kami, Okitsuhime no kami)
Iso-jinja Shrine (Sukunabikona no kami)
Byojo-jinja Shrine (Kenabayasuo no mikoto)
Designated cultural properties of the city
Main shrine (1872)
Front shrine (1820)
Chu-mon Gate (1790)