St Agnes Episcopal Church (Angelican) (聖アグネス教会)
St Agnes' Episcopal Church (Angelican), a church in Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture, Japan, is the cathedral of the Diocese of Kyoto, the Anglican-Episcopal Church of Japan
The church was named after St. Agnes, a martyr under Roman Emperor Diocletianus and has become the patron saint of Heian Jogakuin St. Agnes School.
When constructed in 1898 as the chapel of Heian Jogakuin St. Agnes School, it was called "Sei-san-ichi daiseido" (literally a sacred three-one cathedral), but St Agnes Church was organized in 1923 by persons related to Heian Jogakuin St. Agnes School and now, St Agnes Church is called a cathedral. The Gothic style brick building was designed by James McDonald GARDINER, the first schoolmaster of St. Paul's school.
In the daily records of the school, immediately after the completion of building the cathedral, it was written; 'The school was instructed by the police to change the crest on the tower because it might be confused with a chrysanthemum.'
The Kyoto campus of Heian Jogakuin St. Agnes School, where the church is located, is in the former Nijo-jo Castle where Yoshiaki ASHIKAGA resided, and a stone monument where the description of 'the former Nijo-jo Castle site' is inscribed is placed at a corner of the school premises.
The chronological table
October, 1886: The cornerstone-laying ceremony was held by Bishop John MCKIM.
May, 1898: The church was completed as Sei-san-ichi daiseido.
1923: St Agnes Church was organized
1931: The road-side pulpit, which was placed facing Karasuma-dori Street, and part of the tower edge were removed and the stained glass positioned in the center of the alter was moved to the south side.
June 1, 1985: It was designated as a designated tangible cultural property.