Yurinkan Museum (藤井斉成会有鄰館)
The Fujii Saiseikai Foundation was founded in 1926 to store and exhibit the Oriental art collections of Zensuke FUJII (1873-1943) from Shiga Prefecture, who was the founder of Fujii Boseki (later, Fujii, a textile company). It is among the private art museums that were opened in the earliest stage of their history in Japan. Its three-story building is registered with Kyoto City as a cultural property; its Oriental exhibition hall topped with a red-lacquered octagonal tower has been there since its establishment, while the interior retains the atmosphere of the early Showa period.
The collection has many different kinds of art works, including one national treasure, nine national important cultural properties, bronze pieces, Buddha statues, paintings, calligraphy, porcelains and ceramics. A well-known rare item in the collection is an undergarment that was allegedly used to cheat at the Kakyo Examination. It is open to the public just two days per month (first and third Sundays) from 12:00 noon to 3:00 p.m., and is closed in January, August and December.
Fragment of Commentary on the Spring and Autumn Annals, Volume II (Transcription during China's Tang Dynasty)
Kenpon Tansai Moshitaiga Toshiju Zu (a picture of Moshitaiga Toshiju light-colored painting on silk) (the Nangsong period of China), by Ma Hezhi
Kenpon Bokuga Shuzan Shukuji Zu (a picture of Shuzan Shuku-ji Temple monochrome ink painting on silk) (the Beisong period of China), by Xu Daoning
Shihon Bokuga Yuchiku Kosa Zu (a picture of Yuchiku Kosa monochrome ink painting on paper) (the Jin period of China), by Wang Tingyun
Dozo Bosatsu Ryu Zo (a standing statue of Dozo Bosatsu) (the Wuhu Shiliuguo period of China)
Sekizo Kongo Rikishi Zo (a standing statue of Kongo Rikishi made of stone), two bodies (Tenryu-san Mountain Sekkutsu Butsu) (the Sui period of China)
Sekizo Bosatsu and Ryouwaki Samurai Ryuzo (Three Standing Bodhisattva Made of Stone), or Sanzon Bosatsu Ryuzo (Three Standing Bodhisattva), one set, the base frame of which was signed in the third year of Seika (564, Northern Qi of China)
Sekizo Miroku Bosatsu oyobi Ryokyojiryu Zo (Three Standing Maitreya Bodhisattva Made of Stone), with the front surface of the base signed in the second year of Gi-Tenpyou) (535, Eastern Wei of China)
Rihaku Kaboshi by Sokushi Cho (the Nangsong period of China)
Materials related to Chosentsushinshi (Joseon Korea Diplomatic Mission to Tokugawa, Japan): two letters of Joseon sovereign's message; six replies from Tokugawa Shogun (gold- and silver-leaf paper); one shokei (note) from the Joseon Toraifu mission; three notes by Joseon Reiso Sangi
Overview of the building
From Kyoto Station of West Japan Railway Company, take City Bus 46, get off at "Higashiyama Nio Mon" and walk three minutes. From Kyoto Station of JR, take City Bus 5, get off at "Kyoto Kaikan Bijutsu Kan Mae" and walk. It is located ten minutes on foot from Sanjo Station (Kyoto Prefecture) of Keihan Electric Railway Co., Ltd.