Hinonishi Family (日野西家)
The Hinonishi family were kuge (court nobles) with kakaku (family status) of meike (the fourth highest family status for court nobles). They are branch of the Hirohashi family under the Hino line of the Northern House of the Fujiwara clan. Their kamon (family crest) was tsuru no maru (a crane in a circle). Their Karoku (hereditary stipend) during the Edo period was 200 koku (approx. 36.1 cubic meters). After Meiji Restoration, they held the title of viscount.
This family was founded by Sukekuni HINONISHI, Jun-daijin (Vice Minister), the third son of Tokimitsu HINO, at the end of the period of the Northern and Southern Courts (Japan). The family was succeeded by Morimitsu HINONISHI and Sukemune HINONISHI, but, since Tomomitsu, a son of Sukemune died young, this family was discontinued.
During the Edo period, Fusamori HINONISHI, Emonfu (Headquarters of the Outer Palace Guards), the third son of Fusamitsu HIROHASHI, reestablished the family as Hinonishi.
On July 8, 1884, the peerage of viscount was conferred on Mitsuyoshi HINONISHI.