Kuwata-gun was a county existed in Tanba Province in Kyoto Prefecture. The government office of Tanba Province was placed in this county. Located near the boundary with Yamashiro Province, it became a suburban area of the capitals after the Japanese capital was moved to Nagaoka-kyo and then to Heian-kyo.
In 1879, the county was divided into Kita Kuwada-gun and Minami Kuwada-gun.
November 22, 1871: Due to the first stage integration of prefectures, this county was removed from Kumihama Prefecture and was placed under control of Kyoto Prefecture together with two other counties (Funai-gun and Ikaruga-gun) of Tanba Province.
March 14, 1879: According to the law for making an organization of counties, wards, towns and villages, the county was divided into Kita Kuwada-gun and Minami Kuwada-gun.
Villages belonging to the county that appear in Wamyosho (an old Japanese dictionary compiled in the Heian period)
Ayabe-go Village (漢部郷)
Sogabe-go Village (宗我部郷)
Kawato-go Village (川人郷)
Arabe-go Village (荒部郷)
Ikebe-go Village (池辺郷)
Yamaguni-go Village (山国郷)
Ugashira-go Village (有頭郷)
Yokosaku-go Village (横作郷)