Narutaki (Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City) (鳴滝 (京都市右京区))
The origin of the location name came from the legend that the small waterfall located here made a roaring sound at one time. The villagers were puzzled by this and consulted the monk of the temple, who became wary and made everyone to gather at the temple on top of a high ground. Suddenly, the village was submerged under a great flood and was completely annihilated during that night. From this event, the small waterfall was called 'Narutaki' and the village began to be called as 'Narutaki no Sato' (the village of Narutaki).
The Ryotoku-ji Temple with the alias of Daikondaki-dera Temple (Burning Radish Temple) carries out rite of Daikondaki (burning Japanese radish) for Hon-ko (a memorial services for Shinran) on both December 9 and 10 every year.
There are the remains of a pottery furnace by Kenzan OGATA in front of Hozo-ji Temple of Narutaki Izumitani-cho. Kenzan prepared place to live as a hermit in Omuro and called himself Shoseido (習静堂) in 1689. He later learned pottery under Ninsei NONOMURA and opened up a pottery facility in Narutaki Village in 1699. Since this furnace was located on northwest (direction of "Ken" in Chinese Bagua direction) of the capital, he called himself Kenzan.