Otokuni-gun (Otokuni-no-kori District) (乙訓郡)
Japan/Kinki Region/Kyoto Prefecture/Otokuni-gun
List of provinces administered in the past by the ryo-sei, or administrative codes (令制国)/Kinai (five provinces in the immediate vicinity of Kyoto)/Yamashiro Province/Otokuni-gun
Otokuni-gun was a district in Yamashiro Province, and is presently a district in Kyoto Prefecture.
Otokuni-gun is comprised of only the following town:
Otokuni-gun used to include the entire region which includes present-day Nagaokakyo City and Muko City as well as the present-day Nishikyo and Minami Wards, Kyoto City and a portion of the present-day Fushimi Ward.
The name "Otokuni-gun" is believed to have originated from the fact that the region had been called 'Otokuni' (literally, "younger brother country"). Additionally, "Ekuni' (literally, "older brother country") is said to have been Kadono-gun (the present-day west part of Kyoto City).
Nagaoka-kyo (the capital) and the ancient provincial office of Yamashiro Province were established in Otokuni-gun.
April 10, 1879: Based on the Gun-ku-cho-son henseiho (Counties, Wards, Towns, and Villages Organization Code), Otokuni-gun district office was established in Muko-machi.
April 1, 1889: As a result of the enactment of the chosonsei (Town and Village System Law), Muko-machi, Otokuni-mura, Shinkotari-mura, Kaiinji-mura, Yodo-mura, Koga-mura, Hazukashi-mura, Oe-mura, Oharano-mura, Kuze-mura and Oyamazaki-mura were established in Otokuni-gun. Otokuni-gun was comprised of one town and ten villages.
July 1, 1942: Kita-yamashiro local office was set up in Kyoto City to administer Otagi-gun, Kadono-gun and Otokuni-gun.
October 1, 1949: Otokuni-mura, Shinkotari-mura and Kaiinji-mura were merged to form Nagaoka-cho. Otokuni-gun was comprised of two towns and six villages.
December 1, 1950: Otokuni-gun was comprised of two towns and three villages.
November 1, 1959: Otokuni-gun was comprised of two towns and one village.
November 3, 1967: By implementing the chosei (grant of township), Oyamazaki-mura became Oyamazaki-cho. Otokuni-gun was comprised of three towns.
October 1, 1972: Otokuni-gun was comprised of one town.
By implementing the shisei (grant of city status), Muko-machi became Muko City and was separated from the gun (district) system.
By implementing the shisei and changing its name, Nagaoka-cho became Nagaokakyo City and was separated from the gun system.
"Go" (unit of the smallest administrative area) in Otokuni-gun
Eleven "go," described in the Wamyoruiju-sho (a dictionary compiled in the Heian period)
Kanji characters inside the brackets are for transcription.