Fushimiban are block printed books printed at the Enko-ji Temple (now Ichijoji, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City), which was established on a corner of the Fushimi School in Fushimi Ward of Yamashiro Province by order of Ieyasu TOKUGAWA in the early Edo period. They are also called Enko-ji ban.
Genkitsu first published "Koshi-kego" (a chronicle of the sayings and doings of Confucius and his disciples), "Rikuto," and "Sanryaku" (ancient Chinese strategy books) in 1599.
In 1600, Jotai SAISHO published "Joganseiyo" (a book written about Taiso, the second Emperor of the Tang Dynasty in China).
In 1606 Genkitsu published the "Bukei-shichisho" (seven classical strategy books of China). The number of books published in this period was 8 titles, a total of 80 books.
In 1612, after the founding father Genkitsu died, the Enko-ji Temple, belonging to the Rinzai Sect, was moved to within the premises of the Shokoku-ji Temple and afterwards was relocated to the Shugakuin Village, Otagi County during 1661 to 1673.
According to the description in 'Enkoji-yuishogaki' (a book written about the history of Enko-ji Temple), the wooden type used for Fushimiban was given by Ieyasu. To this day, some of the wooden face is still known as the Enko-ji Temple Typeface, and can be found within the temple. However, in 1815 Mitsuru MINAGAWA borrowed the type to print his father's last work ("Kien-bunshu" (Kien writings, Kien is Mitsuru's father)) and added more type to compensate for missing ones. Therefore there are two types of characters.