Maizuru Prefecture (舞鶴県)

Maizuru Prefecture is a prefecture established in 1871 based on the policy of Haihan-chiken (abolition of feudal domains and establishment of prefectures). It was abolished and consolidated into Toyooka Prefecture in October of that same year. The prefecture included present day Maizuru City, Kyoto Prefecture, Oe-cho (Kyoto prefecture) and most of Yura, Miyazu City.

Summary
Maizuru Prefecture was established under the policy of Haihan-chiken and lasted only three months. Maizuru Domain was originally called Tanabe Domain of the Tango Province, but the name overlapped with Tanabe Domain of the Kii Province. Therefore, it was renamed after Maizuru-jo Castle which was a pseudonym for Tanabe-jo Castle (Tango Province) by order of the Daijokan (Grand Council of State). The prefectural government was in the Maizuru-jo Castle, but later, it was consolidated into Toyooka Prefecture along with Miyazu Prefecture and Mineyama Prefecture of the same Tango Province.

History
July 14, 1871: Under the policy of Haihan-chiken, Tango-Tanabe Domain (Maizuru Domain/35,000 koku) was reorganized as Maizuru Prefecture.

November 22, 1871: Consolidated into Toyooka Prefecture. August 22, 1876: Incorporated into Kyoto Prefecture because of the abolition of Toyooka Prefecture.