Shinshosetsu (New Novel) (新小説)
The second phase, April 1896 (April 1896 issue) to November 1926 (December 1926 issue)
Kuroshio, January 1927 (January 1927 issue) to March 1927 (the final issue)
January 1889, inaugural issue was published.
June 1890, publication was suspended
April 1896, Shinshosetsu was republished.
November 1926, the final issue before renamed
January 1927, renamed to Kuroshio
March 1927, ended publication.
Shinshosetsu, with the first phase and second phase being published from January 1889 to June 1890 and from July 1896 to November 1926, respectively, was a literary journal that used to exist in Japan. In January 1927, Shinshosetsu was renamed to Kuroshio and three issues were published until March of that year.
In January 1889, a literary circle comprised of 14 members including Nansui SUDO, Shiken MORITA, Koson AEBA, Ningetsu ISHIBASHI, Gakkai YODA and Bimyo YAMADA compiled and published Shinshosetsu. In June 1890, the year following, after a year and half since Shinshosetsu began, the first phase of its publication ended.
Six years after the cessation of publication of the first phase, in April 1896, Shinshosetsu was republished under the editorship of Rohan KODA.
During the second phase of its publication, Shinshosetsu published to bring out numerous masterpieces such as Koya Hijiri by Kyoka IZUMI in 1900, Kikyorai by Doppo KUNIKIDA in May 1901 issue, Kusamakura by Soseki NATSUME in September 1906 issue, Futon (fiction) by Katai TAYAMA in August 1907 issue, Uta Andon by Kyoka IZUMI in 1910, Byoin Yokocho no Satsujinhan translated by Ogai MORI (The Murders in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe) in June 1913 issue, Sakai Jiken by Ogai MORI in February 1914 issue, Kanzan Jittoku by Ogai MORI in January 1916 issue, Tenshu Monogatari by Kyoka IZUMI in 1917, the long poem Nichigetsu no Ue ni by Itsue TAKAMURE in April 1921 issue, Nichirin by Riichi YOKOMITSU in May 1923 issue, Hitori Futayaku (Ranpo EDOGAWA) in September 1925 issue and Monogram (Ranpo EDOGAWA) by Ranpo EDOGAWA in July 1926 issue whereby the magazine reached new heights of prosperity.
In January 1927, Shinshosetsu was renamed to Kuroshio (with the English title being the Japanese Current) but that magazine ceased publication after the third issue in March of that year.