Maeda Tomoyoshi (前田知好)
Tomoyoshi MAEDA (1590 - July 24, 1628) was a busho (Japanese military commander) who lived in the Edo period, and he was the third son of Toshiie MAEDA. His mother was Zai (also known as Kinseiin), who was a concubine of Toshiie. He was originally named Riho. His name was changed to Tomoyoshi afterward. He was commonly called Shuri. He called himself Yuan after becoming a Buddhist priest. His children were Yoshitsugu MAEDA, Tomotatsu MAEDA, and Tatsumasa MAEDA.
When he became a Buddhist priest in 1597, he entered Tenpyo-ji Temple after the Battle of Sekidosan and assumed the position of betto (a head of the institution), and then he quit the priesthood in 1604. In 1610, after Toshiyoshi MAEDA, who was the son of his uncle Yasukatsu MAEDA, died, he succeeded to that family because his uncle did not have any other children, and he became the lord of Nanaokomaruyama-jo Castle (the keeper of Nanao-jo Castle). Subsequently he served in the Siege of Osaka. He deplored his circumstances because Toshitsune MAEDA went against the last will of their elder brother Toshinaga MAEDA and Toshitsune did not give him favorable treatment, so he retreated into seclusion at Shinsho-in Temple on Mt. Kurama in Kyoto in 1616, calling himself Yuan after shaving his head to enter the priesthood. In April 1627, he moved to Munesawa-dera Temple in Omi Province. In 1628, Toshitsune sent Toshitaka MAEDA as a messenger and Tomoyoshi was persuaded to travel to Kanazawa, but he became sick in Omi Province during that trip and he died after returning. Died at the age of 39. His posthumous Buddhist name was Danganindonoyuansomudaikoji.
Komaruyama-jo Castle was abolished by the Ikkoku Ichijo Rei (Law of One Castle per Province). The Nanao machi-bugyo (a town magistrate), which was established in the territory of Komaruyama, took over the function of the Jodai (the keeper of castle).