Arisugawa Station (有栖川駅)

Arisugawa Station, located in Sagano-kaminoki-cho, Ukyo Ward, Kyoto City, is a stop on the Arashiyama Main Line, which is operated by Keifuku Electric Railroad Co., Ltd. The station number is A10.

It started its operation under the name 'Sagano.'
This is because the administrative town names of the area encompassing this station are Sagano-XX-cho (the platform for the inbound trains is in Sagano-arisugawa-cho and that for the outbound trains is in Sagano-kaminoki-cho). However, with 'Sagano' used, when utilized in reference to a sightseeing destination, to indicate an area including Arashiyama where places of interest--such as Tenryu-ji Temple and Daikaku-ji Temple--are located, many tourists going to visit Sagano would mistakenly get off trains at this station, and therefore the facility's name was changed to Arisugawa Station. The Arisu-gawa River is also the waterway flowing in the north-south direction west of the station.

Station layout

Two platforms, each serving a track, are placed in staggered array.

It is located on the ground level; across a railroad crossing, the platform for the trains for Shijo-Omiya is placed on the Kurumazakijinja Station side and that for Arashiyama is on the Katabiranotsuji Station side.

Station surroundings

The Kyoto Sagano post office
Daikokuya (a supermarket)
The Tenzan-no-yu hot spring (a natural hot spring/super-bathhouse)

History

March 25, 1910: This facility started its operation as Sagano Station of Arashiyama Electric Tramway.

April 2, 1918: The companies concerned merged, and it became a station of Kyoto Dento, an electric power company.

March 2, 1942: The tramway was transferred to Keifuku Electric Railroad Co., Ltd., and this station became a facility of that company.

August 9, 1975: Its name was changed to Arisugawa Station.

Adjacent stations

Keifuku Electric Railroad
Arashiyama Main Line
Katabiranotsuji Station (A9/B1) - Arisugawa Station (A10) - Kurumazakijinja Station (A11)