Kitano Station (Kyoto Prefecture) (北野駅 (京都府))

Kitano Station, located in Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture, was a stop on the Kitano Line operated by the Keifuku Electric Railroad Co., Ltd.

Summary

Kitano Station opened as a terminal when the Kyoto Dento, an electric power company, built a railway line. The station was located to the south of Kitano Tenmangu Shrine and had two toothed platforms serving three tracks. The station building was a simple wooden structure.

Later, as the Kyoto City Trams extended the Imadegawa Line, the section between Kitano-kamiyagawacho Station and Kitano-Hakubaicho Station, along with the expansion of Imadegawa-dori Street, the Keifuku Electric Railroad Co., Ltd. transferred the Kitano Line--which ran between Kitano-Hakubaicho Station and Kitano Station--to the Kyoto City Trams; concurrently, Kitano Station, operated by the Keifuku Electric Railroad, was merged into the Kyoto City Trams operation, whereby the station of the Keifuku Electric Railroad was abandoned.

Religious facilities now stand on the site of the former station.

Station surroundings

Kitano Tenmangu Shrine

History

November 3, 1925: The station became operational when the section between Kitano Station and Takaoguchi Station was opened.

September 16, 1958: The station was abandoned when the section between Kitano-kamiyagawacho Station and Kitano-Hakubaicho Station on the Imadegawa Line was extended.

Adjacent stations

Keifuku Electric Railroad
Kitano Line
Kitano Station - Kitano-Hakubaicho Station