Muromachi-dori Street (室町通)
The Muromachi-dori Street is one of the major north-south streets which run through Kyoto City. It corresponds to Muromachi-koji Street of Heiankyo. It is located immediately west of Karasuma-dori Street, along which a subway runs. It extends from Kitayama-dori Street in the north to Kuzebashi-dori Street in the south. The street is in the middle interrupted by Higashi Hongan-ji Temple and Kyoto Station.
Yoshimitsu ASHIKAGA, the third shogun of Ashikaga shogunate built his Muromachi-dono (residence of Ashikaga Shogun family) admired as Hana-no-gosho (residence of Shogun in Kyoto) near Muromachi-dori Imadegawa in 1378, which is the origin of the name Muromachi bakufu (Japanese feudal government headed by a shogun). The street was busy as a political and cultural center until the collapse of the Muromachi bakufu in Onin War. Onin War devastated Kyoto and divided it into two parts: Kamigyo (the north part of capital) and Shimogyo (south part of capital). The Muromachi-dori Street is the only route connecting the two. During the Edo period, it developed as a wholesale street lined with kimono shops (drapers). Even today established shops that have been in business for hundreds of years stand side by side in a row. In addition, in the Gion Festival, areas near Shijo-Muromachi Crossing are the center of Yamahokocho (towns with Yama or hoko, float) where Yamahoko, Gion Festival Floats including Kikusui-hoko, Gion Festival Floats line up.