Ryogaemachi-dori Street (両替町通)
The Ryogaemachi-dori Street is a street running north-south through Kyoto city. It extends from Marutamachi-dori Street in north to Sanjo-dori Street in the south, running a block west of Karasuma-dori Street. The Suwancho-dori Street runs along its southern extension.
A kinza (literally, gold za, or gold mint) was established by Ieyasu TOKUGAWA around the intersection with Oshikoji-dori Street in 1600 and a ginza (literally, silver za, or silver mint) was moved from Fushimi to an area south of the kinza in 1608.
Therefore many financial dealers and gold- and silver-smiths were concentrated along the street.
Because financial institutions were relocated to the area along Karasuma-dori Street, the current Ryogaemachi-dori Street is only a narrow downtown street.
Suwancho-dori Street, located along the southern extension of the Ryogaemachi-dori Street, runs from Takatsuji-dori Street in the north to Hanayacho-dori Street at the northern end of Higashihongan-ji Temple in the south.
The name of the street comes from Suwa-jinja Shrine, which is near the intersection with Matoba-dori Street.
During the early Edo period brothels were established in Rokujo misujimachi around Rokujo-dori Street