Gyogan-ji Temple (行願寺)
Ryorokuzan Gyogan-ji Temple is a Tendai Sect temple located in Nakagyo-ku Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Its principle image is the Thousand Armed Kannon (or Deity of Mercy). The temple is commonly known as Kodo.
Origin and History
It became known as Kodo (lit. deerskin hall) due to the fact that Gyoen would wear deerskin.
The temple was destroyed by fire at the beginning of the Edo period.
It was then relocated to its current location in 1708.
Temples and halls
Main hall: Constructed in 1815 and designated a tangible cultural asset by Kyoto City.
Belfry: Constructed in 1804 and designated a tangible cultural asset by Kyoto City.
Jurojin Shindo hall: Constructed during the Azuchi-Momoyama period.
Yurei Ema (a votive wooden tablet with an image of a ghost)
It is the 19th of the 33 temples that are visited during the Kansai Kannon Pilgrimage.
18. Choho-ji Temple; 19. Gyogan-ji Temple; 20. Yoshimine-dera Temple
Miyako Shichifukujin (Seven Gods of Good Fortune) (Rojujin (god of longevity))
It is the 4th of the 33 sacred places that are visited during the Rakuyo Kannon Pilgrimage (the Thousand Armed Kannon).