Honryu-ji Temple (本隆寺)

Honryu-ji Temple is the Sohonzan (grand head temple) of the Shinmon-ryu sub-school of the Hokke Sect located in Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Its sango (literally, "mountain name"), which is the title prefixed to the name of a Buddhist temple, is Ekozan. The temple's formal name is Ekomuryozan Honmyo Ryuko-ji Temple. It has eight sub-temples (Zeko-in, Gyokuju-in, Honjo-in, Shoju-in, Gyokuho-in, Honpo-in, Senmyo-in and Keijo-in).

History
1488: Nisshin (Hokke Sect Shinmon-ryu sub-school) founded Honryu-ji Temple at Shijo-dori Street and Omiya-dori Street.

1536: The temple was destroyed in the Tenbun Hokke Disturbance and followers fled to Sakai City.

1542: Followers were allowed to return to Kyoto and rebuilt the temple at Nishijin.

1584: The temple was relocated to its current site by the order of Hideyoshi TOYOTOMI.

1788: Destroyed in the Great Fire of the Tenmei era.

Cultural properties
Main hall (a tangible cultural property designated by Kyoto City)
Soshi-do hall (a tangible cultural property designated by Kyoto City)
10 Hokke Genron scrolls (a tangible cultural property designated by Kyoto City)

Location
330 Monya-cho, Chiekoin-dori Gotsuji-dori agaru, Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture

Access
15 minutes walk from Imadegawa Station on the Karasuma Line of the Kyoto City Subway.

Take the Kyoto City Bus to Imadegawa Jofukuji bus stop and walk.