Ichigon-ji Temple (一言寺)
Ichigon-ji Temple is a Buddhist temple belonging to the Shingon Sect located in Daigo, Fushimi Ward, Kyoto City. Its formal name is Kongoo-in Temple and it is a bekkaku-honzan (special head temple) of the Shingon Sect Daigo School. The principal image is the Thousand-armed Kannon.
It is reputed that Ichigon-ji Temple was originally founded by the daughter of FUJIWARA no Michinori (Shinzei, ca.1106 - 1159), Awa no naishi (maid of honor), who was in the service of Kenreimonin, and excavations that took place to the south of the temple in 1973 discovered the remains of a Kamakura period garden. Following its founding, the temple gradually fell into decay but was restored in 1874 when the Kongoo-in sub-temple of Daigo-ji Temple was relocated to the site.
18 minutes walk from Daigo Station on the Tozai Line of the Kyoto City Subway
Take the Keihan Bus to Ichigonji