Iwaya-jinja Shrine (岩屋神社 (京都市))
The Iwaya-jinja Shrine is in Yamashina Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. It is designated as a village shrine in the modern shrine ranking system. There was a period where the shrine was considered a Myojin-taisha Shrine 'Yamashiro-jinja Shrine Niza in Uji District, Yamashiro Province' in Engishiki Jinmyocho (the list of deities), which is now denied.
There are two huge rocks, the symbols of yin and yang, called Okunoin or Iwayaden on the mountainside behind the Honden (the main building of the shrine) and worshiping these rocks as a dwelling place of the gods originated at this shrine. It was built in 343 according to the shrine's biography. During the Kanpyo ear (889 to 898) the huge rock of yin was worshiped as Takuhatachijihime no Mikoto, and the huge rock of yang was worshiped as Amenooshihomii no Mikoto while the small shrine in front of the rocks was worshiped as Nigihaya no Mikoto. Prayers were made for the ancestors of Oyake family from the Mononobe clan when they developed the Yamashina area. During the Jisho era (1177-1180), the main building of the shrine was burned down by the monks of Onjo-ji Temple and all of the old documents were burned as well. It was rebuilt in 1262. It was called 'The three iwaya (rocks) shrines in east, west and on the top' in the Middle Ages. East rock is the Iwaya-jinja Shrine, west rock is Yamashiro-jinja Shrine but it is not known what shrine was on the top rock.
In 1873, it was listed as a village shrine and belonged to the Association of Shinto Shrines after the war.