Joraku-ji Temple (Shimogyo Ward) (常楽寺 (下京区))
Joraku-ji Temple is a Buddhist temple belonging to the Jodo Shinshu (the True Pure Land Sect of Buddhism) Hongan-ji School located in Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture.
It is also known as 'Jorakudai.'
It was founded by Zonkaku, Shinran's great-great-grandson.
It is included in the Jodo Shinshu Hongan-ji School scriptures ("Jodo Shinshu Seiten," Hongwanji Publishing Company) as the original manuscript.
It is used in critical revisions of the Shinshu Otani School scriptures ("Shinshu Seiten," Shinshu Otani-ha Shumusho Shuppanbu).
(The original manuscript is a transcription by Kenchi owned by Senju-ji Temple.)
1667, restored according to envisioned proportions of Shinran, cremated remains placed in a silver urn.'
26th July 1706, cremated remains removed and place within a hoto (treasure pagoda).'
When the head was removed from the temple's seated statue of Shinran (Edo period piece) and the inside of the body examined in March 2008, a bone fragment believed to be from Shinran was found wrapped in paper.
Approximately 200m from Kyoto Station.
Approximately five minutes walk from the Mieido-mon gate of Nishi Hongan-ji Temple.