Joshoko-ji Temple (常照皇寺)
Joshoko-ji Temple is a Buddhist temple belonging to the Tenryuji School of the Rinzai Sect located in Ukyo-ku Ward (formerly Keihoku-cho), Kyoto City. Its sango (literally, "mountain name"), which is the title prefixed to the name of a Buddhist temple) is Daiyuzan (Mt. Daiyu).
Joshoko-ji Temple began as a small hut built in 1362 by Retired Emperor Kogen, the first emperor of the Northern Court during the period of the Northern and Southern Courts, when he visited the area after entering the Buddhist priesthood. The 2nd head priest Seikei Tsutetsu converted this hut into a Buddhist temple. The temple entered a period of decline during the Sengoku period (period of warring states) but was later restored and in the Edo period received a license to trade from the Edo bakufu (Japanese feudal government headed by a shogun) as well as possessing many branch temples.
Important Cultural Property
Wooden statues of Amida Nyorai (Amitabha Tathagata) and flanking attendants
Natural Monument (Nationally Designated)
Kokonoe-zakura (cherry tree with ninefold cherry flowered)
Historical Sites Designated by Kyoto Prefecture