Kaniman-ji Temple (蟹満寺)
Kaniman-ji Temple is a Buddhist temple belonging to the Chizan school of the Shingon Sect located in Yamashiro-cho, Kizugawa City, Kyoto Prefecture. The sango (literally, "mountain name"), which is the title prefixed to the name of a Buddhist temple, is Fumonzan. According to the temple history, the principal image is Kannon Bosatsu, but this statue is currently housed within the Kannon-do hall, with the National Treasure designated Shaka Nyorai statue serving as the principal image.
The precise time of the temple's founding is unclear but excavations of the surrounding area have led to estimates that it was constructed during the Asuka period. It was later revived in 1711 during the Edo period when Ryohan of Chishaku-in Temple served as chief priest. The temple is famous for the "Kani no Ongaeshi" tradition written about in Konjaku Monogatarishu (lit. Anthology of Tales from the Past).
Excavations have indicated that the temple was large at the time of its founding but now only the main hall and Kannon-do hall remain.
Seated statue of Shaka Nyorai (National Treasure)