Katsuragimiagata-jinja Shrine (葛城御県神社)
Katsuragimiagata-jinja Shrine is a Shinto shrine located in Katsuragi, Katsuragi City, Nara Prefecture (former Shinjo-cho). It is shikinai-sha (shrine listed in the Engishiki laws) and ranked as a sonsha (village shrine) under the old shrine classification system.. It is one of the six miagata-jinja Shrines in Yamato Province.
Tsurugine no Mikoto is the shusaijin (main enshrined deities), Ninigi is enshrined as an associated deity. However the original enshrined deity was Amatsuhiko Hikohono Ninigi no Mikoto, with Tsurugine no Mikoto being enshrined in 1872. In Nihon-shoki, Tsurugine no Mikoto is said to be a person who was appointed governor of Kazuragi Provincein honor of his exploits during the Jinmu tosei (Eastern expedition of Emperor Jinmu).
t is unknown when this shrine was founded. It was originally located 100m east of its present location. In the Engishiki Jinmyocho (a register of shrines in Japan), it is described as 'Katsuragimiagata-jinja Shrine, Katsuraginoshimo County, Yamato Province', and ranked as taisha (grand shrine).
Hachiozan Saikoji-Temple was built within the shrine precinct at one point and the shrine subsequently went into decline. In 1601, the feudal load KUWAYAMA made a branch shrine of Morokuwa-jinja Shrine (in present Aisai City) for a deity in Misayama (Mausoleum of Emperor Iitoyo, unconfirmed) and then enshrined Katsuragimiagata-jinja Shrine together. Morokuwa-jinja Shrine was his ubusunagami (guardian deity of his birthplace) and located in Kaito District, Owari Province.
In 1864, an attempt was made to separate Katsuragimiagata-jinja Shrine from Morokuwa-jinja Shrine, and return it to where it once stood but Saiko-ji Temple was already standing there so it was transferred to its current site west of the temple. In 1874, it became a sonsha (a village shrine).