Keirin-ji Temple (桂林寺)
Keirin-ji Temple is the historically prominent Tango Province Chuhonzan (mid-level head temple) of the Soto Sect located in Maizuru City, Kyoto Prefecture. Its sango (literally, "mountain name"), which is the title prefixed to the name of a Buddhist temple, is Ama-no-Kagu-yama.
Origin and history
1401: Founded by Chikuo Yusen Osho.
1600: Participated in the Battle of Sekigahara on the side of Yusai HOSOKAWA who was held up in Tanabe-jo Castle (Tango Province). The temple was rewarded by the donation of a painting depicting Buddha's entrance into Nirvana and a bell.
1717: The Sanmon gate was constructed. (Believed to have been the largest in the city).
1935: The belfry (Chinese style) was reconstructed.
2001: The roof of the main hall was retiled to commemorate the 600th anniversary of the temple's founding.
Garden lantern: Created during the latter part of the Kamakura period and a nationally recognized important work of art
Temple bell: Cast during the Muromachi period and a cultural property designated by Maizuru City
Atagoyama (Maizuru City)