Konko-ji Temple (Kyoto City) (金光寺 (京都市))

Konko-ji Temple is a temple of the Jishu sect located in Motoshiogama-cho, Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto City. Its Sango (literally, "mountain name"), which is the title prefixed to the name of a Buddhist temple, is Shichusan, and its Ingo (name of temple's title) is Saishooin. Its Honzon (principal image of Buddha) is Amida Sanzon (Amida Triad) (Amida Nyorai (Amitabha Tathagata) of Injo (leading enlightenment)).

History
The temple legend says that it was established by Kuya, the founder of Odori Nenbutsu (Buddhist invocation with beating a drum or a bell), on the northwest corner of Shichijo-dori Avenue Horikawa-dori Street in 937, and it belonged to the Tendai sect at first, but converted to the Jishu sect in 1284. It is the head temple of the Jishu sect Ichiya school founded by Sakua. It was called 'Shichijo dojo' because it had a dojo (place of Buddhist practice or meditation) of Jishu sect, and also called 'Ichiya dojo' because it was close to Higashi-ichi (East Market).

It was also called Ichihime Kinko-ji Temple because Ichihime Daimyojin (Great God of the market) was enshrined in the precincts.

In 1591, when the temple land of Hongan-ji Temple was transferred, it was moved to the present temple land by Hideyoshi TOYOTOMI.

Cultural properties
National important cultural properties
Four volumes of Yugyo shonin emaki (picture scrolls of Priest Yugyo)
Color painting on paper, made in the Kamakura period.

Address
586 Motoshiogama-cho, Kawaramachi-dori Street Nishi-iru, Rokujo-dori Street, Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto City

Access

About a 10-minute walk from Gojo Station (Kyoto Prefecture) on the Kyoto City Subway Karasuma Line
About a 3-minute walk from Kawaramachi shomen bus stop of the Kyoto City Bus

Information for nearby spots

Ichihime-jinja Shrine

Hitomachi-koryukan (community center), Kyoto

Choko-do Hall