Kosho-ji Temple (Uji City) (興聖寺 (宇治市))

Kosho-ji Temple on Mt. Buttoku in Uji City, Kyoto Prefecture is the first Soto Sect temple to have been established in Japan and has a So-do hall. The principal image is a Shaka Sanzon statue (statue of Shakyamuni flanked by two attendants).

Origin and History

In 1233, Dogen stays at Gokuraku-ji Temple Kannon Dori-in Temple in Fukakusa (in present-day Fukakusa, Fushimi Ward, Kyoto City.

In 1236, The buildings are maintained and the temple's name is changed to Kannon Dori Kosho Horin-zenji Temple.

In 1243, Dogen passes the temple on to Echizen Province, following which the temple falls into disrepair.

In 1649, Naomasa NAGAI, the lord of Yodo-jo Castle invites Manan Eishu to restore the temple in its current site which was originally occupied by the Asahi Chaen (tea garden).

Nearby Attractions

Kotozaka slope (approach to the temple): One of the 12 Beauty Spots of Uji.

Location

27 Ujiyamada, Uji City, Kyoto Prefecture

Access

15 minutes walk from Uji Station on the Uji line of the Keihan Electric Railway.

15 minutes walk from the JR West Uji station.