Myoman-ji Temple (妙満寺)

Myoman-ji Temple is the Sohonzan (grand head temple) of the Kenpon Hokke Sect located in Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture. Its sango (literally, "mountain name"), which is the title prefixed to the name of a Buddhist temple, is Myotozan. It has four sub-temples (Shogyo-in, Hoko-in, Joju-in and Taiji-in).

History
1389: Nichiju founded Myoman-ji Temple at Rokujo Bomon-koji Lane and Muromachi-dori Street.

1536: The temple was destroyed in the Tenbun Hokke Disturbance and followers fled to Sakai City.

1542: Followers were allowed to return to Kyoto and rebuilt the temple at Shijo-dori Street and Ayanokoji-dori Lane.

1583: The temple was relocated to Teramachi-dori Street and Nijo-dori Street by the order of Hideyoshi TOYOTOMI.

1968: Relocated to its current location.

Myoman-ji Temple is currently served by the 305th chief priest Nichigan NAKAMURA.

Cultural property
Important Cultural Property
1 Hokkekyo Yobun Waka Kaishi (20 sutras and poems written by Emperor Kogen) scroll

Location
91 Iwakura Hataeda-cho, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City, Kyoto Prefecture

Access
5 minutes walk from the Eizan Electric Railway Kiya Station.