Rokusho-ji Temples (六勝寺)
Rokusho-ji (also pronounced Rikusho-ji) temples are six Buddhist temples that were constructed in Shirakawa in the outer part of Kyoto (Kyoto City) (the area around Heian-jingu Shrine in Okazaki, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto City) by successive emperors and an empress during the period of cloistered rule of the late Heian period. These temples became collectively known as Rokusho-ji (lit. Six Sho Temples) as each of their names consist of the character 'sho' (meaning victory).
Ninna-ji Temple served as their supervisor since 1158. Beginning with Shirakawa Kitadono, numerous palaces as well as residences for female nobles were built in the area during the period of cloistered rule and, like Toba in southern Kyoto, these temples flourished as centers of cloistered governance. However, the temples disappeared and fell into ruin as a result of natural disasters and conflicts during the middle ages. The temples were not rebuilt after being destroyed during the Onin-Bunmei Wars and now place names are all that remain in the area.
The Rokusho-ji Temples
Hosho-ji Temple: Founded in 1077 by the order of the Emperor Shirakawa.
Sonsho-ji Temple: Founded in 1102 by the order of the Emperor Horikawa.
Saisho-ji Temple: Founded in 1118 by the order of the Emperor Toba.
Seisho-ji Temple: Founded in 1139 by the order of the Emperor Sutoku.
Ensho-ji Temple: Founded in 1149 by the order of the Emperor Konoe.