Sanami-ji Temple (酒波寺)

Sanami-ji Temple is a temple of the Chisan school of Shingon sect located in Imazu-cho, Takashima City, Shiga Prefecture and also a branch temple of Chishaku-in Temple, Kyoto Prefecture. Sango (literally, "mountain name"), which is the title prefixed to the name of a Buddhist temple, is Seireizan.

History

It is believed that Gyoki founded this temple in 741. It was initially a branch temple of Kofuku-ji Temple with 56 priests. Nobuzumi ODA burned down this temple in 1572, confiscating the temple estate. The restoration project was drawn up in the Tensho era only to fail. The restoration was realized after the temple invited Kakunin Shonin (High Priest) of Kanzan-ji Temple in Ika District in 1662. It became a branch temple of Chishaku-in Temple, Kyoto Prefecture in 1679. The temple counts among Takashima Nanaka-ji Temple (seven temples of the Tendai sect in Takashima City).

Facilities in the neighborhood

Hioki-jinja Shrine (in Takashima City)