Sekiho-ji Temple (Kyoto City) (石峯寺 (京都市))
Sekiho-ji Temple (石峯寺) is a temple of the Obaku sect located in Fushimi Ward, Kyoto City. Its Sango (literally, "mountain name"), which is the title prefixed to the name of a Buddhist temple, is Hyakujozan. Its Honzon (principal image of Buddha) is Yakushi Nyorai (the Buddha of Healing). It is also written as 石峰寺.
The origin and history
It was founded by the 6th Shoan SENGAI of Manpuku-ji Temple, Daihonzan (head temple of a Buddhist sect) of Obakusan in 1713. Sekiho-ji Temple was originated as Shararenzan Sekiho-ji Temple established in Tada Village, Settsu Province in the mid Heian period. Though the temple caught fire caused by war and was burned down, the statue of Yakushi Nyorai as Honzon was later found from the ground in 1596. Then it was enshrined in a hokora (a small shrine) to the east of the Gojo-bashi Bridge in Kyoto. It is said that Priest Sengai, who respected this Yakushi Nyorai, moved it to the present place in Fukakusa.
Later a painter Jakuchu ITO created stone statues on the hill at the back of the precincts of the temple. His works are still well-known as 'Jakuchu Gohyaku Rakan' (the five hundred disciples of Buddha who attained Nirvana). Ceiling paintings were created by Jakuchu on the Gotenjo (a coffered ceiling) in the Kannon-do Hall. However, these paintings were disposed of during the rush of Haibutsu-kishaku (a movement to abolish Buddhism) in the early Meiji period, and exist in another temple. Jakuchu died at the age of 85 at home in front of Sekiho-ji Temple on October 27, 1800, and he was buried in the temple.
This temple holds Jakuchu-ki (Buddhist service for Jakuchu) on September 10 every year.
Fushimi-Inari Taisha Shrine
About a 5-minute walk from Fukakusa Station of the Keihan Electric Railway