Twenty-one Hokke Sect Temples of Central Kyoto (洛中法華21ヶ寺)
The twenty-one Hokke Sect temples of central Kyoto consist of the 21 head temples of each of the schools of the Nichiren Sect which began with Myoken-ji Temple in Kyoto City founded by Nichizo Shonin.
Worship at the 21 temples began during the Tenbun era (1532-1555). The temples were damaged by fire during the Tenbun Hokke Disturbance (also known Tenbun-honan) and now only 18 remain.
Daimyo-ji Temple (Kyoto City) (relocated from its site near Myoken-ji Temple in 1991): Katagihara Hakaridanicho, Nishikyo Ward
Yusei-ji Temple (formally Honmon-ji Temple; Honmon Butsuryu Sect): Takinohanacho, Ichijo-dori Shichihonmatsucho nishi-iru, Kamigyo Ward (added as a result of a merger between Jogyo-in Temple and Juhon-ji Temple (to form Yobo-ji Temple))
Closed temples (three temples)
Kugyo-ji Temple (Ehime Prefecture): Relocated to Sakai City and then to Aichi Prefecture in 1895.
Hokoku-ji Temple: Continued to exist as the Jishu-in sub-temple of Honkoku-ji Temple until 1887 before being relocated to Aichi Prefecture.
Honkaku-ji Temple (Kyoto City)