Yusei-ji Temple (宥清寺)

Yusei-ji Temple is a Buddhist temple located in Kamigyo-ku Ward, Kyoto City. It is the Daihonzan (Head Temple) of the Honmon Butsuryu Sect. The principal image is Jukkai Great Mandala (Ten Realms Mandala).

History

1303: Middle aged monk Nichiben entered Kyoto where he preached Buddhism to a Zen monk descended from FUJIWARA no Sadaie who later became known as Nichiju. The former residence of FUJIWARA no Sadaie was converted to Honmon-ji Temple on Mt. Seiryu.

It was later relocated to Kameoka City in Tanba Province during the Onin War.

1599: Returned to Kyoto.

1694: Acquires the Yusei-ji branch temple on Mt. Hiei (Yokokawa) and became a branch temple of Myoren-ji Temple.

1860: Nichiyo retired to Yusei-ji Temple.

1863: Nichiyo died. The temple later fell out of use.

1869: Nissen entered the temple. The temple became a konpon dojo-seminary of Butsuryu-ko practice.

1933: Relocated to its current site.

1946: The temple established the Honmon Butsuryu Sect and became the Daihonzan (Head Temple).

Cultural Properties

Wooden seated statue of Nichiren (Important Cultural Property): Crafted during the Kamakura period. 46.7cm tall. One of the oldest statues of Nichiren. According to temple legend, the statue was created by the middle aged Nippo and transferred from Jusen-ji Temple in Kazusa to Honmon-ji Temple on Mt. Seiryu by Nichiben.